The primary aim of this meeting was to plan actions and campaigns and also find ways of organising existing campaigns such as the Kedem Consmetics picket. The meeting was a hive of energy and activity, in fact the number of ideas proposed was overwhelming. To deal with the deluge of ideas it was decided to prioritise campaigns and actions that had a time sensitive element to them:
- Supporting the rolling picket: A dynamic boycott protest in Manchester city centre on Saturday 13th September.
- Stop G4S: Actions to campaign against G4S during the upcoming Labour Party conference and to lobby for an end to G4S contracts at Manchester City Council. G4S is a private security company that is complicit in Israeli Apartheid through the management of prisons in Israel and is also involved in human rights abuses in UK immigration detention centres. These actions will be in cooperation with the Stop G4S Campaign in Manchester.
- Gazebo/Stall for Palestine: Create a regular presence in the city centre of Manchester to raise awareness on Palestine and coordinate BDS actions and activities.
- Defend the right to protest: stand in support of protesters facing trial on Monday 15th September, 9AM at Manchester Magistrates Court.
- Protest and Lobbying of City Centre Councillors: In connection with Manchester City Council’s biased approach to protests in support of Palestine, on Monday 15th September, 6-7PM at Manchester Central Library.
There were many other ideas that we are keen on implementing, these are represented in the ‘word cloud’ below and listed beneath it. To get involved in a specific idea please contact us by email.
Other campaign and action ideas: Boycott Tesco, Day of boycott action, Poster Exhibition, Using flowers to remember the dead in Israel’s attacks, Protest Media Bias, Arrest Warrants for Israeli Officials, Pop-up Educational Events in City Centre, Build Mock-up of Prison or Israeli Apartheid Wall.
Finally, the meeting touched upon the future of the Kedem Cosmetics Pickets. It was agreed that these should continue but that the nature and frequency of the activity would be reviewed. To be involved in this process please get in touch by email.